Expert resume of Robert van Galen
Robert is an of counsel at NautaDutilh, after having been partner from 1994 until 2022. His practice focuses on reorganisations and bankruptcy litigation, with an emphasis on cross-border issues. He has been involved in various major insolvency cases in the Netherlands over the past 20 years, such as Barings, Fokker, GTS, KPNQwest, Lehman, Yukos and OSX. Furthermore, he is admitted to the bar of the Dutch Supreme Court and has been involved in a number of cases there.
- Substitute justice in the Court of Appeal of The Hague
- Member of the experts group advising the European Commission on insolvency legislation
- Representative of the Netherlands in UNCITRAL WG V
- Co-chair of the international committee of the American College of Bankruptcy
- Former president of the European association of insolvency practitioners, INSOL Europe
- Former president of the Dutch association of insolvency lawyers, INSOLAD
- Former president of the Amsterdam lawyers society (Praktizijnssociëteit)
Publications, editing board activities
Robert has published regularly in legal journals. He was the co-author of a report on cross-border insolvency law to the Netherlands Association for International Law (NVRI) and author of a report on groups of companies for the Netherlands Association for Comparative and International Insolvency Law (NACIIL). He is a member of the editing board of the leading Dutch legal magazine on corporate law. He recently published a book on European Insolvency Law.