Expert resume of Melody Wang
Partner and Head of the Disputes and Investigation Practice at Shanghai Lang Yue Law Firm in joint operation with Allen & OveryLLP; Arbitrator, HKIAC; PRC regulatory law expert
Melody Wang is dual qualified in the PRC and the United States (NY) and focuses her practice on complex financial disputes and investigations. Recent dispute matters have included work for financial institutions, accounting firms, securities underwriters and high-profile matters involving project financing along the Belt and Road.
Melody also regularly appears before PRC government regulators in connection with financial data security and international judicial assistance for offshore litigation.
In addition to her advocacy work, she has been appointed as an expert witness in numerous foreign proceedings (eg the U.S., Hong Kong and Singapore) involving Chinese law regulatory issues and PRC accounting law.
Melody is ranked as a Leading Individual in Dispute Resolution (Litigation) by Chambers Greater China Region and has been recommended by Who’s Who Legal for several years. Melody has also been selected as one of the China Top 15 Litigators by Asian Legal Business for 2022.
Melody is bilingual in Mandarin Chinese and English.
- Representing an international investment bank in its dispute with a Chinese company over the selling of a forex derivative product. The dispute involves arbitration, litigation, and criminal aspects in Hong Kong and Mainland China.
- Assisting one of the “Big 4” accounting firms in handling a series of securities litigations arising out of its professional services for a large Chinese state-owned machinery manufacturer delisted from the Shanghai Stock Exchange due to securities fraud.
- Defending one of the “Big 4” accounting firms in a series of PRC litigation proceedings initiated by investors who purchased public and private-placed bonds issued by a listed company. The claimants attempted to pursue professional liabilities against the accounting firm, alleging that it was at fault in issuing an audit report containing misrepresentations for the listing company, allegedly causing losses to investors.
- Successfully defended one of the “Big 4” accounting firms in a tort liability lawsuit initiated by an investor who claimed to have suffered losses due to the invested company’s fraud and relying on the accounting firm’s allegedly untruthful audit report to invest in the company; the trial as well as the claimant’s subsequent appeal were both dismissed by the court.
- Successfully defended one of the “Big 4” accounting firms in a tort action arising from auditing professional liability, where certain shareholders of the audited company requested the court to confirm the audit report was untrue thus it could be exempted from compensation liabilities under a valuation adjustment mechanism.